Chinese herb related molecules of cancer-cell-apoptosis: a minireview of progress between Kanglaite injection and related genes
© Lu et al. 2008
Received: 22 June 2008
Accepted: 21 August 2008
Published: 21 August 2008
Many kinds of Chinese herb had been confirmed to have the character of anti-tumor, clinical reports about anti-tumor effects of Chinese herb had also been found in recent years, but most of the reports were focused on the clinical treatment of effectiveness for Chinese herb, on the other hand, review about Chinese herbal related with molecules on cancer-cell-apoptosis was seldom, many scientists could not believe such kinds of clinical describes about anti-tumor effects for Chinese herb, because these describes were lack of molecular biology evidence. Kanglaite(KLT) injection is an anti-tumor new drug which extracts from Chinese medicine- coix seed with modern advanced pharmaceutical technology, it is also a new biphase extended-spectrum anticancer medicine, the food and drug administration(FDA) of United States also approved a phase II trial of KLT to test its efficacy in treating non-small-cell lung cancer. Some studies show it could inhibit some anti-apoptotic gene and activate some pro-apoptotic gene, its injection solution is one of the new anticancer medicine that can significantly inhibit a various kinds of tumor cells, so it has become the core of research that how to further explore KLT injection to promote tumor cell apoptosis by impacting on related genes. In this review, the relationship between KLT and some tumor cell apoptosis molecules had been discussed and reviewed generally.
In recent years, with the lucubrate on tumor cell biology and molecular biology, it has been recognized that the occurrence and development of tumor is not only the result of cell proliferation disorders and disdifferentiation, but also closely correlated with the abnormal apoptosis [1, 2]. Although abnormal apoptosis can promote the occurrence and development of tumor, we can also treat tumor by promoting apoptosis of cancer cell [3, 4]. Thus it has become the new target in oncotherapy by way of inducing apoptosis of cancer cell. Kanglaite(KLT) injectionis a diphasic broad-spectrum anti-tumor new drug which has depressant effect on many kinds of tumor cells, it is extracted from the chinese crude drug-coixenolide [5, 6] and made use of the latest and most complex modern high technologies in process of preparation . Animal experiments show that KLT mainly block G2+M phase of cell circle, thereby reducing the mitotic division of cells, so the proliferation of tumor cell was inhibited, at the same time it can also activate some pro-apoptotic factor, and further lead to apoptosis . Clinical application also shows that combined with chemotherapy, KLT has a good effect on the treatment of advanced cancer, particularly in digestive tract cancer, for example, the patient's life span and quality of life improve significantly. The finding show that this preparation has significantly depressant effect and preonunced curative effect on a variety of cancer cells . Although the therapeutic measure of liver cancer contain surgery, radiotherapy, chemotherapy, interventional therapy and so on, their effect is not satisfactory so far [10, 11]. However, with the development of cell biology, the theory of apoptosis presents a new hope and path for the treatment of liver cancer, The present study has found that KLT plays an important role in promoting apoptosis of hepatoma cells . It has been known that the apoptosis of hepatoma cells is triggered by a variety of receptor-mediated cell signaling, and a variety of protease take part in the apoptotic signal transduction. In addition many kinds of genes are also involved with apoptotic regulation of hepatoma cells. In this paper, the relationship between KLT and the hepatoma cell apoptosis molecules is going to be discussed and reviewed generally.
The influence of KLT on p53
There are two types of p53 genes: the wild type p53 gene and the mutant p53 gene. The wild type p53 gene, which is also known as the guardian of gene, is indispensable to regulate the normal cells circle [13, 14]. On the one hand, as the important regulating factor in the process of apoptosis, the wild type p53 monitor the integrity of genes all the time, on the other hand, as the nuclear transcripton, it can respectively combines with DNA and RNA polymerase to regulate expression of gene, it can also inhibit the synthesis of DNA, take part in the repair of DNA, induce cell growth stop at the phase of G0. In addition, the wild type p53 gene can induce the Fas-mediated cell procedural death after the damage of DNA, so that the regular growth of cell is maintained. Wang JJ  had found, while discussing the anticancer mechanism of KLT injection, that the labeling index of wild type p53 in treat group which received KLT injection is 16.8%, while the control group had no expression at all. Furthermore, in the experiment about KLT-induced apoptosis, Bao Y  discovered that compared with the control group, the mRNA level of the wild type p53 gene significantly Increased in 20 μl/ml KLT experimental group after 48 hours. And in the experiment about apoptosis of multidrug resistance phenotypic human breast cancer cell line MCF7adr and its cell cycle arrest that induced by KLT. According to the immunohistochemical detection, Guo JW  found that the wild type p53 gene of MCF7adr in the control group is negative, but the wild type p53 gene of MCF7adr in the KLT experimental group is midrange positive, it can be assumed that KLT could up-regulate the expression of p53 and extend half life of p53 protein. In addition, Wei CY  observed 34 cases' hepatoma carcinoma cell that cultivated in vitro and their changes after treated with KLT, the results indicated that, compared with the control group, the apoptosis of hepatoma carcinoma cell in KLT experimental group is very significant, there was significant difference between them, at the same time, the labeling index of wild type p53 in the treat group is (8.39 ± 1.42)%, but the labeling index of wild type p53 in the control group (2.11 ± 0.97)%, there was significant difference between these two groups. the phenomenon recorded here is the same as the studies of Wang JJ, Guo JW and Bao Y which had indicated [8, 15, 16]. In conclusion, KLT injection's may induce the apoptosis of tumor cell by way of up-regulate the expression of p53 genes.
The effect of KLT on the bcl-2 genes
Proto-oncogenes bcl-2 is the most definite apoptotic antagonist gene so far. In 1984, It was first cloned in t(14; 18) (q32; q21) chromosome translocation of follicular lymphoma cell line. But many studies had also confirmed that the high expression of this gene might inhibit the apoptosis of a variety of cells as well[17, 18], thereby it can participate in the occurrence of a variety of tumor. When studying the anticancer mechanism of KLT, Wang JJ  found that the labeling index of bcl-2 gene was (16.80 ± 3.77)% in the control group, which is higher than that (6.6%) in the 10 μl/ml KLT treat group. Moreover, accompanied with the concentration of KLT increase, the gene expression of bcl-2 decreased in KLT group. In the experiment about KLT-induced the apoptosis of pancreatic cancer cells, according to the Western blot analysis, Bao Y  discovered that the expression of bcl-2 protein decreased after 72 hours when application of KLT at 20 μl/ml, the results of these two experiments above-mentioned may indicate that KLT induced the apoptosis of cells by down-regulating the expression of bcl-2 genes. Nevertheless, when studying the KLT- induced the apoptosis of cancer cell(HL60), Li Y  make use of RT-PCR to detect the the gene expression of bcl-2, there was no significant change in genetic transcription after 24 hours when using KLT at 10 ul/ml. So, whether KLT induces apoptosis of cancer cell by down-regulating the expression of bcl-2 genes isn't yet clear, and its role in hepatoma is not learned, which requires further study and research.
The effect of KLT on Fas-genes
Fas gene is located on the No.10 chromosome q23, with a length about 25 kb, the codogenic Fas protein consists of 325 amino acids and it can be expressed in many tissues. When Fas protein combining with Fas ligand, signal of apoptosis is send to the cell and the apoptosis of cell is induce [20, 21] Many anticancer drugs can induce the apoptosis of cancer cell by up-regulating the expression of Fas gene . when studying the KLT- induced the apoptosis of cancer cell(HL60), Li Y  make use of RT-PCR to detect the the gene expression of Fas, she observed that genetic transcription strengthened after 24 hours when using KLT at 10 ul/ml. Han SX  proved that KLT injection can induce the apoptosis of human cervical carcinoma cell by raising the level of Fas gene. Similarly, the experiment, which detected the expression of Fas receptor on the surface of osteogenic sarcoma cell under different concentration of KLT , showed that under the KLT concentration of 0 ul/ml, 1 ul/ml, 5 ul/ml, 10 ul/ml and 20 ul/ml, the amount of Fas mRNA detected by the RT-PCR analisis is (0.12 ± 0.02) ul/ml, (0.27 ± 0.05) ul/ml, (0.35 ± 0.09) ul/ml, (0.46 ± 0.14) ul/ml and (0.51 ± 0.16) ul/ml respectively, so they considered that accompanied with the concentration of KLT increase, the level of Fas gene in the cancer cell significantly increased. Anyway, KLT may induce apoptosis of cancer cell by up-regulating the expression of Fas genes, but its effect on the Fas gene of liver cancer cell should be further studied.
The effect of KLT on caspase-3
Caspases is a group of prolease that induce the apoptosis of cell. Under the normal circumstances, the strict substrate specificity and high effectivity of the activated caspases can assures its narrow spectrum of proteolysis during the process of apoptosis [25, 26]. The caspases selectively Shear a group of protein in a simpatico way that lead to functional failure or structural changes of the protein. If the activity of caspases is suppressed, the cellular apoptosis could be disturbed, which could lead to the occurrence and development of tumor, because the dynamic balance between cellular apoptosis and proliferation is disturbed. Caspases-3 and Caspases-8 are the most widely studied in caspases family. Caspase-3, as a important member in the caspases family, is a major functional enzyme in the pathway of cellular apoptotic signal[27, 28]. Caspases-3 can cause the clearage of its substrate PARP(116 × 103) and transferred into opyeptide 24 × 103 and 89 × 103 and thereby activate the endonuclease to trigger the complete degradation of DNA. Many factors that regulate the cellular apoptosis can react through caspase-3 prolease. The depressor of caspase-3 can restrain the activation of caspase-3 and degrade the activity of it, so that the apoptosis of cancer cell is restrained [29, 30]. Bcl-2 and p53 both interact with caspase family [31–33]. Some report have discovered, while studying KLT-induced the apoptosis of human pancreatic cancer Paru-8988 cell, that the increase of caspase-3 total protein also show obviously time dependence . Moreover, through the test on the substrate of caspase-3-PARP, no degradation product (89 × 103) strap was found in the control group, but the degradation product (89 × 103) strap was discovered after 6 hours in KLT group, which indicates that caspase-3 have enzyme activity. However, no study or research about the effect of KLT on the liver cancer cell had done.
The effect of KLT on other related genes
PCNA (proliferating cell nuclear antigen) is a subunit of DNA polymerase and cell cycle-dependent protein whose maximum appearance in the S phase. Some research shows that the expression of PCNA is connection with the low grade tissues[35, 36]. Wang JJ found that the gene expression of nuclear PCNA increased obviously, and the labeling index of PCNA was 15. 2% after 48 hours when 0.2 mg/ml KLT effected on the renal cancer cells, while hardly any gene expression of nuclear PCNA was observed in the control group . They believed that PCNA took part in the reparative process of KLT- induced DNA injury, and when the degree of DNA injury is too serious to be repaired by PCNA, other genes such as P53 and Bcl-2 will send signals to trigger the apoptosis of cell and they were also convinced that the anticancer effect of KLT was a result of multiple gene interaction and restriction [8, 15, 16, 19].
c-myc is one of the core protein – myc family in oncogene, and it not only is a positive controlling gene in cellular growth and cell life circle, but also take part in the progress of apoptosis, that is to say, it has dualism. Under a circumstances of growth inhibiting, improper expression of c-myc could induce regulatory failure of normal cell life circle and apoptosis. when studying the KLT- induced the apoptosis of cancer cell(HL60), Li Y make use of RT-PCR to detect the the gene expression of c-myc, she observed that there was no significant change in genetic transcription after 24 hours when using KLT at 10 ul/ml . As bcl-2 gene, we should do further research and study on it.
P21WAFI/CIPI is the downstream gene of p53 gene, its activation contain the p53 dependent path and the p53 non-dependent path. The protein product of P21WAFI/CIPI can combine with cell circle protein, cyclin-dependent kinase(CDK), and proliferating cell nuclear antigen(PCNA) to form a quaternionic complex that can stop the cell life circle and depress the cell growth. Guo JW discovered that while up-regulate the expression of p53 protein, KLT can raise the expression of p21WAFI/CIPImRNA and protein, it indicates that KLT can induce apoptosis of cancer cell by way of the p53 dependent path to up-regulate the expression of p21WAFI/CIPI .
Furthermore, some researchers found that KLT can up-regulate the level of ubiquitin C, RAD17 genes and down regulate t the level of cyclin A, cyclin E1, cyclin F gene in studying the influence of KLT on Patu-8988 cell life circle and gene expression .
In addition, some study  show that the genes regulated apoptosis are not isolated, they can influence and restrict with each other, for example, Bcl-2 family, IAPs family, c-myc, P53, P35, can affect activation of caspase-3 through regulating activation of caspase-8 and caspase-9. so Kanglaite may promote the interaction of those genes to form a network cycle, amplify cascade reaction and further promote apoptosis. but there is no related research at the present stage.
Now, the study of KLT-induced apoptosis is focused on the above-mentioned gene. In short, KLT induce apoptosis of cancer cell by way of up regulating the expression of p53 gene, Fas gene, Caspase-3, PCNA, p21WAFI/CIPI and down regulating the expression of cyclin A, cyclin E1, cyclin F gene. But its effect on the expression of bcl-2 gene and c-myc gene is not yet clear.
The occurrence of malignant tumor may be caused by the abnormal proliferation of cell or the inhibition of cellular apoptosis pathway. The proliferation of tumor cell and the apoptosis of tumor cell are not only affected by many factors and pathways such as drugs, radioactive ray, etc, but also regulated by some tumor genes or tumor-suppressing gene. It has been proved that the Chinese crude drug-induced apoptosis is one important anticancer mechanism of Chinese crude drug, and it is also relevant to the concentration of the medicine. Just as the result of experimental treatment on hepatoma of mice that we have done , we found that KLT can made the cancer cells stop in the G2+M phase of cell life circle, and prevent them form entering the G0 and G1 phase. so it can induce the apoptosis and suppress growth of cells without any effect on the surrounding normal tissues or causing Inflammatory reaction which are unique characteristics. based on these characteristics, KLT has been used in the treatment on many kinds of malignant tumor, and the clinical effect show that KLT can not only repress tumor directly, improve the quality of life obviously, enhance the patient's immunity, but also enhance the effectiveness of chemotherapy and reduce side effects [45–47], which is consistent with its pharmacology above-mentioned However, the relationship between the apoptosis of hepatoma carcinoma cell and gene is further studied, although these research can not fully reveal the mechanism of KLT-induced apoptosis, and its experimental result is still preliminary, the trend of using KLT to prevent and cure liver cancer is already formed, and with the development of modern medical technologies, its mechanism will undoubtedly be revealed in the near future. and KLT will bring new hope for the treatment of cancer and the protection of normal tissues with the more sufficient evidence of its effect on liver cancer and other tumor in clinical trials.
- Liang J, Luo G, Ning X, Shi Y, Zhai H, Sun S, Jin H, Liu Z, Zhang F, Lu Y, Zhao Y, Chen X, Zhang H, Guo X, Wu K, Fan D: Differential expression of calcium-related genes in gastric cancer cells transfected with cellular prion protein. Biochem Cell Biol 2007, 85: 375–383.View ArticlePubMed
- Tschaharganeh D, Ehemann V, Nussbaum T, Schirmacher P, Breuhahn K: Non-specific effects of siRNAs on tumor cells with implications on therapeutic applicability using RNA interference. Pathol Oncol Res 2007, 13: 84–90.View ArticlePubMed
- Chase A, Grand FH, Cross NC: Activity of TKI258 against primary cells and cell lines with FGFR1 fusion genes associated with the 8p11 myeloproliferative syndrome. Blood 2007, 110: 3729–3734.View ArticlePubMed
- Ghosh AK, Varga J: The transcriptional coactivator and acetyltransferase p300 in fibroblast biology and fibrosis. J Cell Physiol 2007, 213: 663–671.View ArticlePubMed
- Li DP: Progress on mechanism of KLT injection antitumous effect. Traditional Chinese Drug Research & Clinical pharmacology 2001, 2: 122–124.
- Wei CY, Tang ZP, Tang K: The experimental study on cytotoxicity of primary liver cancer which caused by extract of coixenolide. Journal of Cancer Prevention & Treatment 2000, 7: 610–611.
- Feng B, Liu JH: The alleviative KLT Injection treatment on malignant tumor in advanced stage. Chinese Journal of Clinical Oncology 1999, 26: 238–240.
- Wang JJ, Sun XC, Shen WJ: Research on apoptosis of cancer cell and expression of p53, bcl-2 protein Induced by KLT Injection. Chinese Journal of Clinical Oncology 1999, 26: 439–442.
- Ma L, Wen S, Zhan Y, He Y, Liu Y, Jiang J: Anticancer effects of the Chinese medicine matrine on murine hepatocellular carcinoma cells. Planta Med 2008, 74: 245–251.View ArticlePubMed
- Qian J, Feng GS, Vogl T: Combined interventional therapies of hepatocellular carcinoma. World J Gastroenterol 2003, 9: 1885–1891.PubMed
- Werkgartner G: Portal vein embolization before major hepatectomy and its effects on regeneration, resectability and outcome (Br J Surg 2007; 94: 1386–1394). Br J Surg 2008, 95: 398–399.View ArticlePubMed
- Wei CY, Li T, Tang ZP: Study of coicis seed extract in its effection inducing proliferation, apoptosis and expression of p53 in human hepatocellular carcinoma. Journal of Guangxi Medical University 2001, 18: 793–795.
- Tanigawa S, Fujii M, Hou DX: Stabilization of p53 is involved in quercetin-induced cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in HepG2 cells. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 2008, 72: 797–804.View ArticlePubMed
- Casavant NC, Luo MH, Rosenke K, Winegardner T, Zurawska A, Fortunato EA: Potential role for p53 in the permissive life cycle of human cytomegalovirus. J Virol 2006, 80: 8390–8401.View ArticlePubMed
- Bao Y, Xia L, Jiang H: The experiment and study on cellular apoptosis Induced by KLT injection in pancreatic cancer cell. Shanghai Journal of Medicine 2004, 27: 421–424.
- Guo JW, Shen ZZ, Luo JM: Study on apoptosis and cell cycle arrest Induced by Kanglaite in multidrug resistant human breast cancer cell line MCF7. Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine 2001, 6: 123–125.
- Kuntzen C, Zazzeroni F, Pham CG, Papa S, Bubici C, Knabb JR, Franzoso G: A method for isolating prosurvival targets of NF-kappaB/Rel transcription factors. Methods Mol Biol 2007, 399: 99–124.View ArticlePubMed
- Hall JL: Discovery of an intricate balance. Gene transcription, cell cycle, and apoptosis. Circ Res 2008, 102: 395–397.View ArticlePubMed
- Li Y, Shi TZ: Mechanisms of Kanglaite induced apoptosis in human cancer cells. Chinese Journal of Clinical Oncology 2002, 29: 869–872.
- Mizuta M, Nakajima H, Mizuta N, Kitamura Y, Nakajima Y, Hashimoto S, Matsuyama H, Shime N, Amaya F, Koh H, Ishizaka A, Magae J, Tanuma SI, Hashimoto S: Fas ligand released by activated monocytes causes apoptosis of lung epithelial cells in human acute lung injury model in vitro. Biol Pharm Bull 2008, 31: 386–390.View ArticlePubMed
- Bossowski A, Czarnocka B, Stasiak-Barmuta A, Bardadin K, Urban M, Dadan J: Analysis of Fas, FasL and Caspase-8 expression in thyroid gland in young patients with immune and non-immune thyroid diseases. Endokrynol Pol 2007, 58: 303–313.PubMed
- Iwase M, Watanabe H, Kondo G: Enhanced susceptibility of oral squamous cell carcinoma cell lines to FAS-mediated apoptosis by cisplatin and 5-fluorouracil. Int J Cancer 2003, 106: 619–625.View ArticlePubMed
- Han SX, Zhu Q, Du BR: The mechanism of coixenolide-induced apoptosis in human cervical cancer cells. Oncology 2002, 22: 481–482.
- Huang T, Lv G, Gao DX, Wang YF: Experimental studyl on apoptosis of osteosarcoma cells induced by Kang-Lai-Te combined with doxorubicin. hinese Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry 2005, 14: 648–652.
- Eguchi Y, Shimizu S, Tsujimoto Y: Molecular biology of apoptosis. Rinsho Byori 1997, 45: 470–476.PubMed
- Aprigliano I, Dudas J, Ramadori G, Saile B: Atorvastatin induces apoptosis by a caspase-9-dependent pathway: an in vitro study on activated rat hepatic stellate cells. Liver Int 2008, 28: 546–557.View ArticlePubMed
- Porter AG, Janicke RU: Emerging roles of caspase-3 in apoptosis. Cell Death Differ 1999, 6: 99–104.View ArticlePubMed
- Roberto da Costa RP, Serrao PM, Monteiro S, Pessa P, Silva JR, Ferreira-Dias G: Caspase-3-mediated apoptosis and cell proliferation in the equine endometrium during the oestrous cycle. Reprod Fertil Dev 2007, 19: 925–932.View ArticlePubMed
- Williams BL, Hornig M, Yaddanapudi K, Lipkin WI: Hippocampal poly(ADP-Ribose) polymerase 1 and caspase 3 activation in neonatal bornavirus infection. J Virol 2008, 82: 1748–1758.View ArticlePubMed
- Flynn AN, Buret AG: Caspases-3, -8, and -9 are required for induction of epithelial cell apoptosis by enteropathogenic E. coli but are dispensable for increased paracellular permeability. Microb Pathog 2008, 44: 311–319.View ArticlePubMed
- Chai WS, Zhu XM, Li SH, Fan JX, Chen BY: Role of Bcl-2 family members in caspase-3/9-dependent apoptosis during Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection in U937 cells. Apoptosis 2008, 13: 833–843.View ArticlePubMed
- Tichý A, Záskodová D, Pejchal J, Rezácová M, Osterreicher J, Vávrová J, Cerman J: Gamma irradiation of human leukaemic cells HL-60 and MOLT-4 induces decrease in Mcl-1 and Bid, release of cytochrome c, and activation of caspase-8 and caspase-9. Int J Radiat Biol 2008, 84: 523–530.View ArticlePubMed
- Wang JJ, Sun XJ, Shen WJ: Apoptosis Induced by Kang-Lai-Te Injection and Its Relation with expression of p53, bcl-2 in Renal Cancer Cell Lines. Chinese Journal of Clinical Oncology and Rehabilitation 1999, 6: 34–36.
- Yuan YZ, Bao Y, Xia L: The study on KLT-induced apoptosis of human pancreatic cancer Paru-8988 cell which detected by Gene chip. Chinese Journal of Digestion 2004, 24: 451–454.
- Kemp C, Alberti VN, de Lima GR, de Carvalho FM: How should PCNA be assessed? Total of stained cells or only the most intensely stained ones? Sao Paulo Med J 1998, 116: 1667–1674.View ArticlePubMed
- Horita K, Yamaguchi A, Hirose K, Ishida M, Noriki S, Imamura Y, Fukuda M: Prognostic factors affecting disease-free survival rate following surgical resection of primary breast cancer. Eur J Histochem 2001, 45: 73–84.PubMed
- Bi CM, Zhang SQ, Zhang Y, Peng SY, Wang L, An ZX, Qi A, Lv N: Immortalization of bovine germ line stem cells by c-myc and hTERT. Anim Reprod Sci 2007, 100: 371–378.View ArticlePubMed
- Schmidt EV: The role of c-myc in cellular growth control. Oncogene 1999, 18: 2988–2996.View ArticlePubMed
- Winters ZE, LeeK RD, Bradburn MJ, Norbury CJ: Harris AL. Cytoplasmic p21WAF1/CIP1 expression is correlated with HER-2/neu in breast cancer and is an independent predictor of prognosis. Breast Cancer Res 2003, 5: 242–249.View Article
- Bao Y, Xia L, Yuan YZ: Effects of KLT on cell cycle and related gene expression in Patu-8988 cells. Chinese Journal of pancreatopathy 2004, 4: 82–85.
- Manu KA, Kuttan G: Ursolic acid induces apoptosis by activating p53 and caspase-3 gene expressions and suppressing NF-kappaB mediated activation of bcl-2 in B16F-10 melanoma cells. Int Immunopharmacol 2008, 8: 974–981.View ArticlePubMed
- Chou JJ, Li H, Salvesen GS, Yuan J, Wagner G: Solution structure of BID, an intracellular amplifier of apoptotic signaling. Cell 1999, 96: 615–624.View ArticlePubMed
- Lu Y, Wu LQ: Efficacy of intra-tumor injection of Xiao-Zhi-Ling on transplanted hepatoma in rats. World J Gastroenterol 2003, 9: 2121–2124.PubMed
- Wu LQ, Lu Y, Lu HJ: Efficacy of intra-tumor injection of Kang-Lai-Te in treating transplanted hepatoma in rats. Hepatobiliary & Pancreatic Diseases International 2004, 3: 580–584.
- Li X, Wu XX, Li PW: The clinical research about kanglaite injection treatment on primary hepatic carcinoma. Chinese Journal of Clinical Oncology 1999, 26: 475–476.
- Ran JH, Zhang JH, Wang X: The influence on postoperative immune function of colorectal cancer patients which caused by KLT. Chinese Journal of Clinical Oncology and Rehabilitation 1999, 6: 20–22.
- Zhu PS, Duan LH: The clinical observation about KLT combined with CEP program treatment on the advanced lung cancer. Journal of Practical Oncology 1999, 14: 311–312.
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.